The Unsung “Behind-the-scenes” of the so-called Indian Growth

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Las’ month wen I waz cleared of round 1 of the debatin team selection, I was applauded n waz given a slip containin the topic I had to prepare for the next round, which was planned to be a month after the day I won the former. To my amazement, I got a topic which I knew all books wud contain, all magazines wud publish, all blogs wud post, all websites wud make public...The topic was:

“INDIA IS AN EMERGING SUPERPOWER”

I was quite content n exited about the subject I had to speak. I was full of knowledge regarding this topic, cuz I talk “AGAINST” the Indian growth all 24/7. I argue that the Indian growth is only in the media cuz the western lobby trya...blah, blah, blah. Considering the fact that I had to speak the “cons” of the previous topic, I waz determined to score in this one too...until they, the co-coordinators, rang off declaring that I was supposed to go “for” the motion. I waz totally dumbfounded by this, exclamation! How can I speak anything for this topic? How can I even score points? Where m I supposed to get the matter from?

...not from Neptune!! Certainly!

I came home feelin very weak, carrying the heavy virtual burden and came bombing down on the drawing room couch n soon dozed off. Zzzz

The evening I woke up, I still had that non-patriotic feelin in me. But, somehow I had to be patriotic (@ least for sum days) to go forward. It seemed fine for sum reason. Maybe cuz my financial consultant cousin, Mo, wud help me out like he did before or maybe I had Google® within my reach. Well, I tried checkin out the latter first. I hit in the address box:

http://www.google.com/

...then, I typed in the search box the subject that I was presented (I waz patriotic for now). After I waited for sum 4 seconds, the search engine came up with my results. To my horror, I saw what I expected. Every line, save 2 or 3, had a negative attitude for my subject. I basically wanted sum pro’s so that I cud speak sumthin @ the venue, but what I had here were couple of lines explainin me not to go for the cons. I knew this wud happen. So I decieded to quit the browser n carry out with my math assignment that day.

Week Later, I got a call frm my friend concerning my progress. I frankly told him that it was “NIL”. I told him what I really felt like pronouncin on the head-teacher’s face...”I QUIT frm the debate thingy”. This shook him as well and I told my problem. He then, unexpectedly, advised me not to go for the second round. When asked why, he replied that I ‘d b losin 5-6hrs per day for 2 wks. Upon hearin this, my strong quitttin desire turned concentrated (pH 0)LOL. This thing was, for me, way expensive than the Microsoft’s New Surface (or table) computer.

So I made my final decision...TO QUIT!

Let, me tell ya guys why I don't feel like speakin for the motion, not jus cuz I hated India, but cuz India is actually not proceedin in fully right direction to emerge as a superpower. I’ve got some thin here to clear ur confusion:

Read out what other feel about India being a superpower. (found on a debate conducted by bbc.co.uk)

I came to the United States from India when I was three and a half. I've visited the country a few times since, and one thing I have noticed is how each and every time I go to India there is tangible economic improvement. It surprises me because the wealth generated is in spite of widespread political corruption, poor infrastructure, red tape at every level of business, sometimes militant labor unions, and inadequate social institutions. It gives an indication of the country's immense potential, and obviously it also presents the long journey to unleash that potential. I believe that as the economy continues to grow and the middle class broadens, the debate for more liberalization and better governance will grow. In effect, I hope economic growth will force better governance, and better governance will feed more economic growth.
SV, NYC, USA

Indian culture is centuries old and is bound-up in caste-oriented thinking. Until the caste system is destroyed (including changing people's last names which designate caste affiliation) there will be little opportunity and justice for the very poor. The "higher" castes will continue to prosper and the lower castes will continue to live in poverty. Percent increases in GDP and average income will reflect the progress of the well off, not the vast numbers of poor.
Michael, California, USA

I think the biggest problem which is holding India back is lack of social infrastructure. India today is a big emerging power in the Information Technology sector thanks to its limited educational system, which is not available to everybody. Still half of the population is unable to read or write. If India wants to really prosper in a healthy way it will have to find ways to distribute the benefits of development evenly in the society. Population can be capital but also a hindrance if not educated, healthy etc.
Rajesh, Ranchi

Corruption is the biggest problem in India. Huge amounts are spent on infrastructure and it will be a mess till there is some accountability. The average person is just trying to survive, they really don't care if the country becomes a superpower or not. My main worries during the day are how long will there be a power outage. How much will the cop extract from me. How many bumps on the road do I have to endure and will there be water in my house tonight. I pay taxes and I don't know where all the money goes, so don't talk of being a superpower. It's just a topic for people to discuss when they drive by me in their air conditioned cars.
Abhi, Pune, India

The superpower status for India is an unwanted title. With all its force and efforts, India still needs to do a lot to improve its rural infrastructure. In the field of education, India is surely a role model with its variety of institutions for studies in many subject fields to show the path for other developing countries.
C Sachidananda Narayanan, Tirunelveli, India

The development and growth pace of India is fast enough. But what we need to be changed is a bit of political structure and almost all the politicians. As I see we are lacking in the leaders from each provinces. We have good leaders on top like our president and prime minister, but what about the other politicians, parliament members and small party leaders? I think we need to have proper rules to be implemented by election commissions, like no mafia/crooks should be allowed. No individual with a single police case.
Parthiv Shah, Baroda, India

The real problem of Indian economy is improper administration of the taxing system. Government and fiscal policy makers should be strict on people on who are evading taxes. Economic policy should concentrate more on social welfare.
Sibi Joseph, Manchester, UK

The biggest problem which India faces today is a growing need for infrastructure amidst its growing economy. Corruption and population outburst are two other major concerns. Unfortunately there is a perception in India that people can get away with doing just about anything. Everybody needs to understand that chances of making it to the club of developed nations are bleak with this much of corruption. It's time our political parties act responsibly.
Indraneel Chowhdury, Charlotte, USA/India

India cannot be a super power until the poor can afford food and clean water. A country which cannot handle common mans problem cannot become a super power nor for that matter can be called as a developing country.
Naga Shakelli, New York, USA

The number of issues concerning every Indian is humungous. We have poor sanitation and the quality of drinking water is bad. There is pollution and economic disparity is widespread and increasing. Literacy is pathetic in some of the northern states but improving handsomely in the southern states. Agriculture is monsoon dependent, which means more than 50% of the Indian population is monsoon dependent. Infrastructure is abysmal and the government is stumbling at every step. India might face the severest of hardships but an average Indian would still be smiling.
Sayeed, Bangalore, India

India currently has the potential to regain its place in history as an influential international economic power, but the question must be asked, "at what cost?" Before India can achieve the aforementioned status, it must improve the situation of those whose voices are not always heard: the poor, the women, and those people that rely on the natural environment for a living. As an American, I see my country's development, historically, as lacking the foresight to pace its development with the condition of its people. This time India can choose to copy the mistakes of the United States in its development, or it can learn from them to ensure that all of its citizens reap the benefits of development.
Rachel, Toledo, USA

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

fantastic issues [url=http://pandorauk-shop.co.uk]pandora charms uk[/url] altogether, you simply won a new reader. [url=http://pandorauk-shop.co.uk]pandora bracelets uk[/url] , What may you recommend about your put up that you just made a few days ago? Any sure?

Diseño original por Open Media | Adaptación a Blogger por Blog and Web